ABOUT THE CONFERENCE The Fraser Watershed Restoration Conference 2019 is a 2-day event held at the Thompson Rivers University Conference Centre in April, 2019 The conference will bring together, Indigenous
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
The Fraser Watershed Restoration Conference 2019 is a 2-day event held at the Thompson Rivers University Conference Centre in April, 2019 The conference will bring together, Indigenous leaders, industry experts, government representatives, academics, community officials and conservationists from British Columbia and across North America, who are interested in advancing watershed restoration and reconciliation with First Nations throughout the watershed on April 24th & 25th, 2019.
Presentations and panel discussions will outline strategically designed large ‘landscape-scale’ restoration projects that offer the potential to:
• Advance Indigenous reconciliation
• Provide short term employment relief
• Develop mid and long term sustainable employment strategies
• Aid in the recovery of forests and habitats at risk, including salmon, steelhead, and caribou
• “Fire harden” at risk forest communities
• Contribute to climate change adaptation and mitigation
• Enable a sustainable forest industry.
There is an ecological and economic crisis in BC’s interior forests, precipitated by the cumulative effects of historic development, including the managed depletion of forest resources known as “fall-down,” the dramatic climate change-related impacts of the mountain pine beetle epidemic and recent catastrophic forest wildfires. These and other ecological impacts are exacerbating the stresses on salmon and a myriad of terrestrial and riverine species, such as moose, caribou, and other species at
risk, impacting cultural practices, recreational activities, and employment in local communities.
The conference will provide attendees with an integrated look at 6 restoration related themes:
• First Nations and restoration
• Salmon habitat and restoration
• Wildlife and species at risk restoration
• Climate change adaptation and restoration
• Wildfires and restoration
• Jobs and restoration
Details can be found at restorationconference2019.com.
april 24 (Wednesday) - 25 (Thursday) PST
Thompson Rivers University Conference Center