Ocean Wise & the Coastal Ocean Research Institute are pleased to invite nominations for the 2018 Ocean Awards
Recipients are honoured for their invaluable contributions to understanding, conserving, and communicating the diverse and irreplaceable aquatic ecosystems of western Canada and the species that inhabit them. We are seeking nominations for the following awards:
Murray A. Newman Conservation Award: for highly significant recent work and/or an entire career of important, field-leading contributions in ocean conservation.
- Murray A. Newman Research Award: for highly significant recent work and/or an entire career of important, field-leading contributions in ocean research.
- Michael A. Bigg Award: for highly significant student research advancing knowledge related to the oceans.
- Conservation and Research Communication Award: for highly significant recent work and/or an entire career of important contributions in media, journalism, and digital communications related to the ocean.
The Awards give priority to aquatic-related work conducted in British Columbia; however, B.C. residents involved in conservation and research efforts elsewhere are also eligible. While the theme for these awards pertains to oceans, nominations for outstanding work in freshwater ecosystems will be considered. The Award can recognize highly significant recent work, an entire career of important, field-leading contributions, or both. We therefore welcome nominations of both recognized leaders and individuals in the early stages of promising research or conservation careers.
Nominations letters should include:
- The name of the person or project being nominated and contact information.
- The award for which the person/project is being nominated.
- A brief summary of the nominee’s achievements and impacts.
- A letter of support from the nominator and at least one additional reference or letter.
- Additional relevant material (such as a CV, publication list, web-link, project report, etc.).
Please note that nominations submitted in the previous three years for the Awards will automatically be reconsidered for the 2018 awards, but we encourage the submission of updates before the nomination deadline.
Awards will be presented in March 2019. Recipients must attend the event to receive their awards.
Celebrating achievements is an important part of advancing conservation and research. Please consider honouring a person or project through your nomination.
Peter S. Ross
Vice President, Research &
Executive Director, Coastal Ocean Research Institute
Please email nomination letters and materials by Monday, January 28, 2019 to Dr. Peter Ross email@example.com or mail them to the address below. Please phone 604-659-3517 if you have any questions.
The Coastal Ocean Research Institute engages in research, reports on the health of coastal ocean ecosystems, and generates transformative knowledge on key ocean issues. Ocean Wise is a not-for-profit organization whose vision is a world in which oceans are healthy and flourishing.
The Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre created the Murray A. Newman Awards in 1995 to mark the retirement of its founding director, Dr. Murray A. Newman. Throughout his 37 year career at the Vancouver Aquarium, Dr. Newman was a strong advocate for ocean research and conservation.
Instituted in 2007, the Michael A. Bigg Award celebrates the life and scientific achievements of pioneering killer whale researcher Dr. Michael Bigg (1939-1990).
Image credit: Tracey Saxby