Researcher in Profile – Dr. Rashid Sumaila
Dr. Sumaila, OceanCanada Director, is Professor with a joint appointment at the Institute for the Oceans and Fisheries (IOF) and the Liu Institute for Global Issues, and Director of the Fisheries Economics Research Unit (FERU) at the University of British Columbia. He has authored over 200 journal articles, including in Science, Nature and the Journal of Environmental Economics and Management. Dr. Sumaila is winner of the 2013 American Fisheries Society Excellence in Public Outreach award, the Stanford Leopold Leadership Fellowship, and the Pew Marine Fellowship. He has given talks at the UN Rio+20, the WTO, the White House, Canadian Parliament, State Department, African Union, European Parliament and the British House of Lords.
In 2016 Dr. Sumaila presented at numerous conferences, most notably the Our Ocean: One Future conference hosted by US Secretary of State John Kerry, where an address was made by President Barack Obama. Click here to view Dr. Sumaila’s talk (starting at about 8:50).
Other recent presentations were made at the following events:
- Piura, Peru, September 16-18, 2016. Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Climate Symposium, Smart Climate Information and Accountable Action: Achieving Sustainable Food Security in a Changing World.
- Washington, DC, September 14, 2016. Environment and Oceanic Affairs of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile and the National Geographic Society. Is the Paris Agreement Good News for the Ocean?
- Burnaby, BC, September 7, 2016. Public forum hosted by Terry Beech, Member of Parliament for Burnaby North-Seymour and members of Pacific Caucus on the proposed Trans Mountain Expansion project and an evidence-based discussion on Canada’s energy future.
- Natal, Brazil, August 10-17, 2016. Integrated Marine Biogeochemistry Ecosystem Research (IMBER) ClimEco5 Summer course for approximately 65 early career scholars.
- Vancouver, BC, July 26, 2016. Sea Around Us workshop funded through the MAVA Foundation. Lecture to West African researchers.
- Rome, Italy, March 7-9, 2016. 10X20 Initiative Conference on Marine Protected Areas, Scientific Consensus on MPA Financing, and MPA Financing: Why Invest in MPAs?